Monday, August 25, 2014

Soho Chic Ziggurat on Design Wall Monday

Oh I am so entranced with this new start - the pattern is Windspinner by Prairie Grass Patterns which you can see here, and the fabric is Soho Chic by Sandy Gervais and you can see the whole collection here.



I told myself I would just put one block together to see how it looked but I couldn't stop at one. I love the palette of this collection - olive, teal, chocolate, plum - so yummy! The background fabric can best be described as chartreuse or acid pea soup green - it kinda puts your teeth on edge when you see it. Not your ordinary background choice but it called my name.




And while I was putting these strips on my design wall the word "ziggurat" popped into my head. I had a vague memory of it being a stair step kinda design and according to the great authority Wikipedia it is defined as "having the form of a terraced step pyramid of successively receding stories or levels". I think that is a pretty good description of this design.

My favorite fabric in this Soho Chic collection is this large scale print - simply gorgeous! Love those big plum blossoms, the olive green swirly leaves, the teal flowers and those tiny pops of orange.



My plan is for a 2" border of the teal and then a nice swath of the large scale floral.


This week looks like it may have some quantity as well as quality sewing time in it. As of this morning I have no appointment on my calendar for the entire week! Now my son does start college classes but that is a manageable schedule of dropping off and picking up. And the weather continues to be hazy, hot and humid - perfect for hunkering down in my basement sewing studio with the AC and fans cranked up!

happy stitching-
carol fun

5 comments:

  1. This is going to be an awesome quilt! I have that issue all the time, "just one test block." Never works for me either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to really like acid pea soup. It looks terrific. Sandy's color ways are always attractive to me! Really hard to find plum or berry colors right now, so I'm interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous colors. Love the background and border choices!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're definitely not afraid of color. You go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com