Friday, December 16, 2011

Some Christmas-y finishes for Friday

Another week has blown by me, I really need to pay closer attention. However, I did get a few things accomplished. Want to see my boys' bathroom? I spent about 3 hours cleaning it. No - I didn't think so. What about some Christmas-y stuff? This is little grouping hangs on the wall in my breakfast nook.



The dishes are Debbie Mumm plates from years ago. Does anyone else remember when she had sets of 4 plates in tons of different designs? I was so hooked on them. I have quite a collection. I think I could probably do dessert for about 60 people and they'd all have a different plate.

This is one of my favorite Christmas sets - each one a little topiary - and I've added some greenery and berries and a couple of cute gingerbread guys.




And you can see that I finished the Bent Creek Quaker Noel Sampler. I love the framing. on this one. I've done several of these Bent Creek pieces and usually they are framed quite close to the stitching. Beverly, the framer at Joanns who I love, suggested this spacing and I will be doing this again. It really makes it a more substantial piece.



Here are some close ups - I had to stand on a chair to take these since it was up on the wall and I didn't want to take it down, since I would have to get someone taller than me to put it back up and he is holed up in his room playing video games - oh well - he is quite a big help to me.





Instead of the grey the chart called for I used 2 different reds, 2 different greens and 2 different golds - all overdyed flosses from my stash. I think it looks very Christmas-y.

And I took a couple of minutes to refresh my bedraggled front door wreaths. I think the last time I spruced them up was about 8 years ago. I tore off the faded poinsettias and added some nice candy cane ribbon, some sparkly mylar bows in the center and some sugared berries. Total cost - about $7 for 2 wreaths - and it shows up nice from the street too.



Tonight I'm going to hunker down behind my sewing machine and get the binding on my Flurry quilt and hopefully quilt the little Mary Engelbreit Schnibble too. And I want to make a new table runner for the front foyer -- wow I am being quite the optimist. Check back to see how much I actually get done.

Happy stitching-
carol fun

7 comments:

  1. Love the goodies in your breakfast nook! It sounds like it takes you about the same amount of time it does me to clean my boys bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol - Me too! Debbie Mumm dessert plates! I have 6 or 7 different sets - I used to buy them at Shopko on my lunch break. Now when I see what they go for on Ebay! Wow! Love your Bent Creek stitch and the framing is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! Bathroom cleaning, I need to do that. I love those plates. Your wreaths are so pretty with their new "clothes". :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The breakfast nook looks wonderful. Very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those plates are just awesome...I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those plates look cool and your sampler is great. The choice of colours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your framed stitchery! Isn't it amazing how much framing changes an embroidery--makes it really stand out sharply. Your plate display and wreath look wonderful too--Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com