Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thoughts for Thursday



Now here is a sentiment I firmly embrace - and the last 2 days have convinced me that I have waaayyyyy tooooooo muuuuuuuuch stuufffff!!! I've made several trips to Goodwill with the back of my SUV filled to the brim with bags full of stuff. Mostly clothes and shoes I am never going to wear again - hint: if the hanger has substantial coating of dust on it, you haven't worn it in very long time- get rid of it!! And how come it takes so much time to go through stuff and decide whether to keep it or pitch it?

Yesterday I did my closet, a dresser and a chest of drawers, part of my son's closet and a closet in my laundry room. Today I did a little chest of drawers in my sewing area, half of the space under my cutting table. Not a lot of area but I'm worn out and there is still lots to sort through. It feels good to get rid of some stuff and in the process I've found stuff I totally forgot about - like my Grandmother's flower garden blocks.



I started them when I was pregnant with my youngest son - he'll be 22 next month. Its a long term project - LOL! I've done about 60 blocks - 3/4" hexagons - English paper pieced. I started to add white paths but I've only done 3 of these. When I first started this project I wanted it to be a queen size quilt - go ahead laugh if you must - I'm certain it was the pregnancy hormones talking. Now I'm thinking, crib size would be fine. And even then it will be a while till I get back to this.



I remember sitting on the sofa watching tv and fussy cutting and hand sewing these blocks - I fussy cut teddy bears and flowers and little kids - and yes I am a bit crazy but if you read this blog for any length of time you already knew that.

And to continue the saga of the bedazzled capris from last week....I ventured onto Kohls website where they had some GV capris that looked exactly like the ones I bought last year. I ordered 2 pairs and got free shipping.... they came today...and they are also BEDAZZLED!!! Arghhhh!!! This was not mentioned or shown anywhere in the description or pictures. They are going back tomorrow. I just need to figure out how to make the pairs I now own last for another 10 years, at least!!

Happy stitching-
carol fun

8 comments:

  1. Your Grandma's Flower Garden is vintage now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy surprise you found! Lots of memories there.
    Decluttering is so liberating...I'm with you...can't find anything I want to wear in the stores...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hexagons are wonderful :) 22 now? lol. We all have projects that have been around for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good clean out is rejuvenating. Love the long term hexagons. Funny. Have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those hexies are wonderful! Maybe you can work on them a little at a time and have a crib size quilt ready for a little someone that may come along in the future. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take a huge rubbermaid container filled with 'stuff' to Good Will every time I go to town. The thing I can't figure out is why don't I have any empty space? I love your GFG blocks. Just call it your lifetime acheivement quilt. :)Shopping for britches is not fun. I get mine at the feed store though and they are good to order whatever I want if they don't have it. I want a blingless hiney too, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Grandmother's flower garden blocks will make a pretty quilt of any size!
    Went back and read your post on the pants. :) I wonder sometimes were designers get their ideas and who actually wears the things they design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those quilt blocks look gorgeous it will be wonderful when they finally come together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com