Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Whatever Wednesday

Hey it actually is Wednesday, boy this week is moving fast. I thought I was going to be home today but I got the dates mixed up and have to do a trip to Columbus today. At least the weather is nice and I should be home by dinner.



Here is my progress on the BBD Mystery Sampler 2008. This is a very dense section, lots and lots of stitching. I'm trying to get all the "stuff" finished inside the borders of the house and roof so I'll have some mindless stitching for the weekend. Once I finish this section I can consider myself over half way done. Section 1 and 2 should go pretty quickly, I hope!



I got all the 9 patch blocks finished for the Cherry Salsa quilt - now to get them assembled -another project for the long weekend. I'm anxious to finish this top since I still have to finish the Charming Chatter QAL and I have several new things I want to start.

Why is starting a new project so exciting?? Now I can resist anything but temptation(very very true - LOL) and I have been sorely tempted in the last couple of days. First there is this new cross stitch project - The Magic Garden Sampler by Shakespeare's Peddler.


I picked up the graph on Friday, and hand dyed some evenweave a tannish yellow on Saturday, and bought the flosses yesterday. I still didn't remember to find rubber gloves so my hands have a nice jaundiced look -oh well. I have no business starting a new cross stitch project since I'm making good progress on the BBD piece and I do want it finished, but this one is calling.

And then there are not one but two new quilts I want to start. First Darlene of Quilting Daze showed this beauty.
I have this Whistlepig pattern and I have a group of fat quarters that would be very pretty for this. They are well aged fat quarters, at least 2 years old. Ripe for the sewing!

And then there is this QAL with Crazy Mama Sews. Simple and classy and it would work perfectly with an idea I have for a charm quilt. Now the way she's doing it makes this easy - strip piecing- and the way I'd need to do it - pieceing each and every square to another would take longer but I know I'd LOVE the result. I always subscribe to the philosphy that if 20 different fabrics are good then 200 are 10 times better. My plan for this pattern would have me cutting a TON of squares - one from each fabric. It isn't the cutting that takes so long it is the folding and then the refolding and putting it back on the shelf and you know how fabrics get puffier when you remove them from their extremely tight quarters. They never fit back into the space without lots of coaxing and shoving. However,this is my absolute favorite kind of project, big and messy! Crazy Mama is doing a nice sized twin quilt and I want to make an extremely generous queen size (remember I told you I'm genetically incapable of making a little bed size quilt.) I'm still playing with the math for the size and number of pieces but I want it to come out at least 90" square.

I figure I'll succumb to starting all of these in the near future, unless I'm distracted by another temptation which is entirely possible. The ADHD is strong - oh look there's a chicken - gotta go!

Happy stitching,

carol fun

5 comments:

  1. Aged fat quarters will work wonderfully for your Rolling Stars project! LOL I used a very well aged UFO - teehee!

    Love, love, love your sampler project.

    I want to do the other quilt along, as well. I'm in middle of the Between Charming Friends quilt along (with my sweet pattern - shameless plug) but I may throw caution to the wind and start it, too.

    Come along with me. bahahahahahahahaa!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely progress on the BBD piece, it's coming along beautifully :)

    Your comment about strip piecing vs sewing each square individually touched a chord with me. The yoyo charm quilt square I'm working on is, I think, chain pieced and I'm just not sure if I'm going to be accurate enough to do this or even if I really know how to do it LOL. I'm very much a "one square at a time" quilter myself, but maybe I'll try the other way, if I can figure it out and learn something new ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress on your BBD piece and love your blocks so far for Cherry Salsa! I don't know why starting a new project is so exciting, but it is. I always like to start a new one (and unfortunately start too many of them at one time), but it keeps me from getting bored with the ones that are almost finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol:
    Your handwork is beautiful and you are so ambitious!!!!I don't think you can ever have to many project started... If you did one at a time that might be a little boring....LOL
    Happy stitching, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your BBD mystery sampler is really looking lovely...beautiful stitching!

    I LOVE, love, love your quilt blocks. Love everything about them...the red and white, the polka dots, the cherries, oooh just everything! I Really Must Learn To Sew NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com